BOX OFFICE: 601.948.3533

Associate Artist Program

The New Stage Theatre Associate Artist Program serves as a bridge between academic and professional theatre and provides an opportunity for recent college graduates to experience working in the professional theatre arena. Associates will work alongside professionals in a variety of disciplines.

The Associate Artist Program
Four early career actors will be hired to perform in tours and mainstage productions, direct in the theatre’s Unframed series, assist with both the theatre’s Eudora Welty New Play Series and Education Department, as well as help with the general operation of the theatre, which may include technical, stage management, and administrative responsibilities. There may also be an opportunity for one acting/directing apprentice.  Applicants must be a recent college graduate; theatre majors are preferred but others may audition, interview, and apply. Apprentices are hired for an August to May contract.

On the Mainstage
Apprentices will be cast in two mainstage productions: a holiday show and a spring play for student matinee audiences. Apprentices may also audition and be cast in shows during our regular subscription season and our Unframed series. In past seasons, associate program members have appeared in mainstage shows such as Elf The Musical, A Christmas Carol, Our Town, Peter Pan, and All the Way.

Associates participate in planning curriculum and teaching students in first through twelfth grades during our fall, winter, and spring class sessions. The apprenticeship will help first-time teachers develop a curriculum and find age-appropriate exercises and games.

Touring Shows & Workshops
Associates are cast in our Arts-in-Education productions that tour schools, libraries, and community centers throughout Mississippi from October to May. The associates also lead workshops in acting, stage combat, improvisation, and characterization at the schools. Past season apprentices have performed in Junie B. Jones, The Musical, Anne & Emmett, Click Clack Moo: Cows That Type, If Not Us, Then Who? Freedom Rides to Freedom Summer, and Macbeth.

Gross Pay
Acting—$300 per week
Acting/Directing—$300 per week
All salaries paid bi-weekly

Limited housing is available on a first-come, first-serve basis, and will be deducted from your paycheck. If you choose to share actor housing with another associate, rent is $31.25 per week ($125 a month). If you choose to live in an individual unit, and one is available, your rent would be $62.50 per week ($250 a month).

Medical, vision, and dental insurance is available to all associates as an optional benefit. Should you choose to take any of the three individual insurance options, New Stage Theatre pays 40% of your premium, and you are responsible for the remaining 60%. Associates receive one week paid vacation during the Christmas holidays. Associates are given an opportunity to attend UPTA or SETC.

How to Apply
To apply for the New Stage Theatre Associate Artist Program, interested applicants must complete an application and audition.

24-25 Acting Associate Application (PDF)
24-25 Acting/Directing Associate Application (PDF)
24-25 Associate Artist Information Page (PDF)

In House Auditions: March 30, 2024 *Appointment Needed*
Application Deadline: March 25, 2024

For more information, questions, or to sign up for an in-house audition, please contact Education Director Xerron Mingo at or call 601-948-3533 ext. 232.

How to Audition

To audition you must complete the entire application and return it alongside two recommendation letters. A monologue, song, and movement (any kind) video submission packet (no more than two minutes). Application deadline is March 25, 2024.